Sunday, February 12, 2012

Degassing your wine

One common problem with novice winemakers is not getting rid of the carbon dioxide. Commercial winemakers let their wines age in oak barrels for years which gives the wine time to naturally degas. As home winemakers we don't want to wait that long for our finished product. Most kits are designed to be drink ready in several months. So the degassing step is extremely important to do correctly.

Using the handle of a mixing spoon requires much physical exertion. If you buy a degassing tool and connect it to a electric drill you'll get the job done much faster and less tired.
Remember when you think you've degassed enough do it more and more. You're wine will turn out better for it.
When I rack my wines, which I do several times per batch I will also degas at the time as well. There's no gas in my wines.

No comments:

Post a Comment